Improving Emergency Department Wait Times:
Champlain hospital staff members are working hard to reduce wait times and implementing a variety of strategies including:
- increasing their staffing
- revising processes to increase efficiencies, and
- expanding physician hours.
Since 2008, and to help Champlain’s high-volume hospitals reduce emergency department (ED) lengths of stay, the LHIN funds the Pay for Results (P4R) program.
So that participating hospitals can share their learning from this program with each other, the Champlain LHIN hosts a regular ED Symposium (see below).
Champlain LHIN Emergency Department Symposiums
In Jan 2014, the fourth symposium was held in Ottawa, and led by the LHIN's Dr. Shaun Visser (ED Physician Lead), and Louise Grenier (Senior Integration Specialist).
Six participating hospitals presented their strategies for improving patient flow and wait times in EDs:
The third Champlain LHIN Emergency Department (ED) Symposium was hosted by Dr Louise McNaughton-Filion, Champlain LHIN ED Physician Lead in March in Ottawa. Six Champlain hospitals as well as representatives from the Ottawa Paramedic Service presented on their strategies for improving patient flow and wait times in EDs:
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Ariyan Marvizi – Improvement Support Coordinator, Quality Management & Stephanie Poirier – Clinical Manager, ED
- Ottawa Paramedic Service Greg Furlong, Advanced Care Paramedic & President, Ontario Paramedic Association
- The Ottawa Hospital Kevin Peters - ED Manager (Civic Campus), Angelina Jipson – Staff Nurse & Ad Hoc Care Facilitator (Civic Campus ED), Frank Byrnes – Care Facilitator (Civic Campus ED) & Cheryl Geymonat –Corporate ED Project Manager
- Queensway Carleton Hospital Ann Kerr – Patient Safety & Quality Coordinator
- Montfort Hospital Francois Lemaire – Director, Critical Care & Surgery & Lise Vaillancourt – Director, Clinical Programs
- Hawkesbury & District General Hospital Sylvie Lefebvre - Director of Emergency, Special Care, Medical Day Unit, End of Life Care and Pharmacy, Nicolas Dumont – Evening Coordinator & Christine Lefebvre – RN Team Leader, ED.
For more information, or for archived symposium documents, contact Louise Grenier, LHIN Senior Integration Specialist (email@example.com, or 613.747.3237).