What is Home First?
Home First is a philosophy that is supported by a range of services that help hospital patients to safely continue their recovery at home while receiving enhanced home-care services. These patients are often frail seniors who have completed their acute-care treatment.
What services are offered?
Services can include intensive case management, nursing, personal support, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, social work, dietetics, equipment and supplies.
What are the main benefits for clients and families?
- Clients can recuperate in a familiar environment, reducing the risk of losing strength from lack of mobility while remaining in hospital.
- There is no cost for eligible services provided through the Champlain LHIN.
- Seniors have more time to improve their health status prior to making a major decision about their future care needs.
What are the main benefits for the health system?
- By helping people get better at home, the program relieves pressures on hospitals. For example, more beds are made available for patients who require surgery.
- Preventing premature admission to long-term care homes results in greater access to these beds for individuals who require a more intensive level of care.
- When appropriately managed, care in the home can moderate the demand for more costly health-care options while maintaining a person’s independence.
For more information about the LHIN's regional approach, contact Katie Hood (email@example.com, 613.745.8124 x 3214, or toll-free 1.866.902.5446 x 3214).